Save up to 75% on car insurance
Cheapest Rates from
Start Here
Enter your zip code

Auto Insurance in Iowa

Iowa does not require no-fault or personal injury protection insurance, but it does demand that drivers obtain liability auto insurance. Failure to comply with the state’s laws regarding auto insurance will lead to a suspension of driving privileges. It is important to get the right insurance and stay in compliance with the law. Read the guide below to find out all you need to know about auto insurance in Iowa.

Auto Insurance in Iowa

Iowa has laws that require all residents of the states who own cars to obtain liability auto insurance. In addition, drivers must always keep an insurance card or a copy of their policy in their vehicle at all times to act as proof of insurance.

If you are involved in an accident where damages exceed $1,000, even if you are not at fault, you will need to file a report with the Office of Driver Services. You have 72 hours to file the report. Sometimes the responding law enforcement officer will investigate the accident and file a report. In these cases, you will be informed that you do not have to file a report yourself. If you are deemed to have caused an accident that resulted in damages in excess of $1,000, you will be required to prove financial responsibility. This means you will have to show proof of insurance that meets the state’s standards. If you cannot prove you have proper auto insurance in Indiana, your license will be suspended.

Minimum Liability Auto Insurance in Iowa

Here are the minimum coverage standards your auto insurance must meet:

- $20,000 bodily injury per person.
- $40,000 total bodily injury per accident.
- $15,000 total property damage per accident.

Experts will tell you that you should look to purchase auto insurance that meets a higher standard than the one mandated by your state. These mandatory minimums often reflect rock bottom coverage. If you are involved in an accident with this kind of coverage, you could still find yourself in financial trouble due to skyrocketing medical costs. You should look into collision and comprehensive coverage, as well as other auto insurance extensions. It is easy to do this when you enter your zip code on this page.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Auto Insurance in Iowa

Iowa does not require any auto insurance extensions. Some states do demand that drivers obtain UM/UIM coverage, but that is not the case in Iowa.

No-Fault Auto Insurance in Iowa

Iowa is not a no-fault state. Drivers do not need to carry no-fault insurance.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP)

A personal injury protection extension can help you cope with medical expenses and lost wages after an accident. Some states require this kind of coverage, but Iowa currently does not.

SR-22 Requirements

There is a process that suspended drivers must go through in order to achieve reinstatement as a licensed driver. A key step in this process is filing the SR-22. This is a document that shows state officials that you have obtained the necessary auto insurance and are applying to reinstate your driving privileges. Like most states, Iowa demands that drivers file an SR-22 before they can achieve reinstatement after a period of suspension.

Iowa DUI Laws

In addition to higher auto insurance costs, people convicted of a DUI in Iowa will face some or all of the following penalties on their first offense:

- Minimum 2 days to 1 year imprisonment
- $625 to $1,250 fine
- 180-day license suspension
- Restricted license possible if BAC is below 0.10%
- Ignition interlock device required if BAC is above 0.10%
- No restricted license possible if BAC is above 0.15%
- Possible substance abuse evaluation and treatment
- Possible substance abuse reality program
- Possible attendance to drinking drivers course
- Possible community service

Additional Information about Auto Insurance in Iowa

You should contact the Iowa Insurance Division at (877) 955-1212 if you want to talk to a state official about any details regarding auto insurance in Iowa. To get in touch with them online, go to their website at

Site Search

Choose Your State